Director of DevelopmentCompany: Preservation League of New York State
Date Posted: January 30, 2018
THE POSITION: The Preservation League of New York State is seeking an experienced, energetic, creative, staff leader to direct all aspects of the League’s fundraising operations. The Director of Development may work from the League’s Albany headquarters or telecommute if based closer to New York City and will be required to effectively represent the League to potential and current donors, trustees, foundations, corporations, and the public at large. This position requires an individual with strong fundraising and marketing experience who is a collaborative problem solver, an energetic and effective communicator, capable of quality writing under deadline, and a good fit with the League’s staff and organizational culture. The Director must have the ability to successfully promote the League and its programs to a diverse audience of supporters and potential donors. This position reports to the Preservation League’s President and is supported by a full-time Development Associate. It is a full-time position and requires regular statewide travel to cultivate and solicit donors.
- Direct all aspects of the League’s annual $1.3M fundraising program.
- Work with the Development Committee, the League’s President and other key board members to create and implement the fundraising program.
- Identify, research, cultivate and solicit individual, corporate, government, and foundation donors through personal visits and written grant proposals.
- Coordinate and strengthen relationships with existing donors.
- Play an important role in the League’s marketing efforts.
- Initiate, plan and manage all fundraising and cultivation events.
- Manage the League’s annual Pillar of New York Awards Gala.
- Oversee the Development Associate.
THE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum 5 years experience in the development and successful implementation of overall fundraising plans.
- Creativity and the ability to be self-starter.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task under deadline.
- Strong public speaking skills and excellent ability to write persuasively.
- Proven experience managing staff and effectively motivating high levels of performance.
- Confident budgeting and financial analysis skills.
- Strong proposal-writing skills.
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge fundraising software.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
THE ORGANIZATION: The Preservation League of New York State invests in people and projects that champion the essential role of preservation in community revitalization, sustainable economic growth, and the protection of our historic buildings and landscapes. We lead advocacy, economic development, and education programs all across the state. www.preservenys.org
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits provided including medical plan, retirement program and vacation time.
This position description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of this position might differ from those outlined in this position description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
CONTACT: If interested, send cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample to:
Subject: Development Director Search